Wednesday, May 8, 2013

CAROLYN RAFAELIAN


CAROLYN RAFAELIAN

The designer of the american brand, Alex &Ani, speak to us in an exclusive and fascinating interview


FS: ¿How Alex & Ani was born?
Jewelry has been a core part of my life and family as I am the second generation in a family owned jewelry business. Alex and Ani was born from my heart’s desire to create meaningful and empowering pieces that make a difference in the wearer’s life and the world. Alex and Ani are my two oldest daughters and when I originally developed the brand, they were just 12 and 11 years old. My third daughter, Alivia, came along later and will be inspiring another exciting launch for us in the beginning of next year. My family and all that lives in my heart will always be a continuous source of inspiration for all of our designs at Alex and Ani.


FS: ¿Why jewelry? ¿What attracts you the most of it?
Jewelry is living art, an adornment that can express the heart and soul of the wearer. When you wear a piece that lifts your heart or speaks to something that you value, jewelry can make a difference. We use sacred symbols, the most ancient of languages to reflect deeper principles and meaning, which brings a dimension of spirituality to daily life.

FS: ¿Where does your inspiration comes from? 
My own life experiences are the source of endless inspiration. I am constantly inspired by people, ideas and places and find myself creating all day long. Each individual bangle has a purpose and has been thoughtfully crafted to reflect something greater than simple beauty. The living color of life helps me to visualize ways that we can touch each other to spark something divine. I want every individual to feel the connection to a symbolic piece, to feel empowered and inspired by literally wearing their hearts on their sleeves, or in this case, charming their arms.



“Jewelry is living art, it express the heart and soul of the wearer”.


FS:¿What do you want to communicate with the messages you write in the pieces? 
I want people to express themselves through our jewelry. The collections make it easy to find symbols and messages that have a special meaning to them. By wearing bangles, individuals can share their personal message with the world.

FS: ¿What are your plans for this year?
The possibilities are absolutely endless! We have a lot of exciting things planned for the next year within Alex and Ani and Charity by Design, the heart and soul of Alex and Ani. My plan is to grow the business as I grow as a person. I will continue to create empowering pieces while sharing symbolic, spiritual knowledge with others. Alex and Ani will continue to evolve domestically and internationally as a lifestyle brand as we move forward with our upcoming product extensions. We hope to inspire individuals to adorn their wrists with bangles as a way to express their beliefs and sense of self in a completely organic and spiritual way

 

¿Did you ever thought you´ll reach Europe as a market?
I always knew that there was a greater plan for me and I am humbled by the reception my designs receive. I’ve found that expressing my creativity through unique designs and bangles has opened the door for me to share my passion and light with others throughout the world. Europe is a very culturally-rich place, filled to the brim with inspiration and creativity. I am happy to be a part of it.

¿Which celebrities use your pieces?
Fans of Alex and Ani include Sara Carbonero, Katherine McPhee, Sandra Bullock, Miss USA Olivia Culpo and US Olympic athletes Misty May Treanor and Aly Raisman.


    

By: Itziar Arriola H.

No comments:

Post a Comment