Wednesday, May 8, 2013

CORRADO GIUSPINO


CORRADO GIUSPINO


Corrado Giuspino is an Italian jewelry designerbased in Sardinia. He is a graduate of the Academy of Fashion and Costume Design in Rome. His real interest lies within the fashions and styles of the 1920s and 30s. Corrado has had unbelievable experiences working in the fashion design industry in Milan as well as interior design. More recently, Corrado channeled his talents into jewelry design. Remarkably, his pieces seemed to have gained immediate attention and we had the great opportunity to ask Corrado a few questions about his career, his inspirations and his most current collection.

Fashion Salade: You have extensive experience in fashion design as well as interior design. What sparked your interest in jewelry design?
In reality, I have always been interested in the world of jewelry. I see it as an accessory that completes an outfit, a look. In fact, in the designs for my degree thesis on the figure of Tamara de Lempicka in 20s and 30s fashion you can see the same jewelry that today, more than 20 years on, I design and produce.

FS: What is it about the 1920’s and 30’s that inspires you most?
I adore the sinuous and elegant lines. It was a historical period in which women freed themselves from many social conventions. Bustiers and corsets gave way to a new concept of woman, emancipated and unconventional. It is also a period influenced by the orient, another of my principal inspirations, where I often travel and where I find the materials for my jewelry: pearls, jade, lacquer…





FS: Milan is the design capital of the world. What was in like to work as a designer in that sacred city?
Milan is a wonderful city, certainly the most fashionable and creative in Italy, with a creative and stimulating atmosphere which compensates for the hectic way of life. However, my choice of a simpler life, with a more natural pace and rhythm, lead me to return to live and produce in Sardinia, a fantastic, magical Italian island.

FS: Can you tell us a little bit about the type of woman you design your jewelry for?
She is a modern and unconventional woman who wears jewelry as an accessory which she changes daily to match a fashion look, as for a bag, or a hat. A working woman who doesn’t want to wear classic, precious jewelry every day. Someone determined, self-assured, and chic.





FS: Would you say that your education at the Academy of Fashion and Costume Design in Rome laid an exceptional foundation for your long and diverse career in design?
It was a long process. Undoubtedly the preparation and study at the Academy helped a lot. One needs to have studied the past in order to create the future. Working alongside the other students stimulates competitiveness and creativity. Of course ones innate passion and devotion is essential and accompanies every step. The creative mind is always active: observing a film, an art exhibition, the natural world which surrounds us.

FS: Of all of your experiences in fashion, interior, and now jewelry design – which would you say is your real love and why?
It is hard to make a clear choice. I love design and creation in all its forms. Certainly, I cannot deny that jewelry design has always fascinated me and has always been present in my life. I designed my first pieces for my friends!

FS: Tell us a little bit about your current collection.
It is a collection inspired by the strong lines of deco, in which I mix colours in new combinations. I make extensive use of grey as a base, because I find it best exalts all other colours. It is a collection which gives room for interpretation and the creativity of the woman who wears it. I make large pendants, which can be applied to rich pearl chokers or worn on coloured cords, and which can even become a clasp for a bracelet. My earrings have pendants, which are detachable, allowing the piece to be worn according to the occasion or mood.
Thank you so much!





By: Robyn Alt

No comments:

Post a Comment