Wednesday, May 8, 2013

PAOLITA


PAOLITA


Artistic and fun beachwear for super stylish women who like to stand out.


We had the chance to speak with Anna Paola, the designer of one of the most original and creative brands of the moment.

Interview


1.-¿Why beachwear?


Being half Greek and half Mexican it almost comes instinctive to design for warmer climates. Also I love the challenges of being creative and unique with such little fabric. Especially also focusing on the fit and making it relevant to many different body types.

2.- You are clearly influenced by art, why is so important to you?


I always loved how art directly relates with events, beliefs, tastes, and generally society in any given moment in history. Art to me is almost like a time machine which allows me to fantasize what was happening in the moment it was being painted. It lets me dream about different times, the characters inside the paintings, why it was being painted and portrayed as the artist chose, I find it fascinating. I think I could have easily followed a career path in history of art.

3.- As a designer of beachwear, what is your perspective about the female body?


Unlike outerwear, I design pieces that cover only the bare essentials and I think this has given me a more intimate understanding of the female body. Women have different wants and needs in terms of the cut and support of their swimwear, so each collection I design includes several different styles of both bikinis and one pieces to accommodate a wider range of physiques and tastes. To me, it’s all about comfort and still maintaining a high level of design and fun. I try to make each garment as versatile as possible by inserting removable padding and straps whenever possible. I also sell my bikinis as separates, which lets women mix and match between sizes and styles.

4.- What do you think about all this madness for being ultra thin? It´s pretty original that you choose as models the Boticceli´s kind of woman, or Ruben´s, I mean, bodies that are not precisely athletic or thin, what is your intention?


In every epoque, there is what I would call an inescapable ‘trend’ of what women and men consider as beautiful. In Botticelli’s era it was simply different to today. I don’t particularly have any preferences and I do not have anything against people wanting to be thin. I do however strongly believe in a balanced diet, excersise and a general respect for your body and keeping yourself healthy. After all it what will carry you through life.

5.- As you create pieces to expose the body, what do you want to communicate through your designs?


I want women to have fun with them and I want them to feel super sexy at the beach when they wear them. After all they do stand out!

6.- Fashionly speaking, who do you admire?, Which are your favorite designers?

I absolutly love Mary Katranzou! I find her designs inspirational, aspirational and mesmerizing. I have watched her grow develop and from her Central Saint Martins Master’s Collection to now and she keeps on rocking it every season!

7.- How would you define Paolita´s woman?

A woman who loves her body, who is confident and super stylish!

8.- Is there any celebrity or woman that you admire because of her style?

I always love Iris Apfel’s style, she has an incredible talent in mixing haute couture with costume jewewlry and ethnic influences.

9.- What are the plans for Paolita this year?


We just opened our new boutique in Marble Arch, London at 18 New Quebec Street. We will be be running competitions and set up fun bikini things to do!

10.- As a you are a beach wear designer, you must have a favorite beach in the world, do you want to share it with us?


There is a beach at the south of Greece in an island called Elafonisos. It consists of two gorgeous bays which almost connect at the ends. I used to go camping there and it used to take 7 hours to drive there, however it was completely worth it.


By: Itziar Arriola H.

No comments:

Post a Comment