Wednesday, May 8, 2013

CHARLOTTE TAYLOR


CHARLOTTE TAYLOR

Charlotte Taylor: “My Fashion Icon is my Grandma” The designer speaks to us about her love for prints, her family and her Holiday plans.


Her name is well-know in England. She is recognized as one of the most talented young designers in the country and, soon to be, all over the world. According to Taylor, she has gone “beyond the recession,” and defines herself as “a crazed, yet determined girl who decided it was the appropriate time to pull up sticks, leave her job and start her own fashionlabel under her name.” And with that, CHARLOTTE TAYLOR was born. Her two passions are prints and her family. In this brief interview, the designer speaks about her true fashion icon, her family’s role in her brand and the massive impact of her blog.



FS: How did you get started in the fashion industry and what has been your career highlight so far?
CT: I started at Art College in London and then went on to work for various designers before starting my own brand. The highlight was when the label grew enough to enable my brother to come on board and manage the business side of the brand this year. It has been a real dream.

FS: What has been the most challenging aspect of setting up your own label?
CT: Making it profitable! It is so hard when you are fist starting out and it seems everything is against you. But basically, being successful is all about economies of scale. The more fabric you buy, the cheaper it is etc. You just have to survive the first few years.

FS: What are your inspirations?
CT: For this season: fishing, beekeeping and Japanese art/culture. In general: everything unexpected and as a rule of thumb: the more random, the better.




Everything unexpected… the more random, the better.


FS: What are your Christmas plans?
CT: My family and I are going to Argentina to visit family members whom we have never met. We are so excited!

FS: In one sentence, define your collection.
CT: It is a print focused, womenswear collection that is unexpected, quirky and random yet elegant, moorish and unique.

FS: Who is your fashion icon?
CT: My grandma.

FS: Your fascination for prints is evident. When did it start?
CT: I love clashing and, for me, prints are a great medium for this. There is also a very immediate and obvious beauty in prints, which I love.

FS: Upon launching your own label, you also launched a blog documenting the process. How has social media helped you get your name out there?
CT: It massively helped me. I was able to create a buzz behind the label before I even launched. Social networking is so important nowadays, it’s quite scary!

By Juliet de Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment